Saturday, November 12, 2011

Paper pumpkins


I've seen these paper pumpkins scattered all over the internet and I just adore them.  I figured I would give them a try.  They are an easy way to add a personal touch to your Fall decorations.  Besides I just love pumpkins. 








Here's what you'll need:


2 or 3 sheets of fall colored 12x12 cardstock
1 sheet of green or brown 12x12 cardstock
scissors and a paper cutter if you have one (it makes it easier to cut the paper into strips)
Brads in green or brown (medium or large size)
a medium to small paper hole punch (optional)



First cut your cardstock into 1inch strips. 




Select 9 stripes in varying colors that you wish to use for the body of the pumpkin.  These can be all one color but I like variety.  I think it makes it more interesting. 




Next punch a hole at each end of the paper strip.




Attach one end of the strips to a brad.  Overlapping them in the order you want them to appear on the pumpkin.  Close the brad.




Next cut out a mustache shape from the green or brown paper, then punch a hole in the middle.  These are your leaves.  Cut a small strip of green paper about 1/4 of an inch thick.  Trim about an inch off and punch a hole in the bottom. This is your stem.  Then punch a hole in the middle of the paper strip.  This will be your vine. 



Take another brad and attach the stem (small strip) first, then the vine (long strip) and then the leaves (mustache shape:).  After that attach all the paper strips under the leaf and fold over the brad to hold it all together.  



Last take a pencil and wrap the vine paper strips around it to make them curly. 


Once you are done the vine and pumpkin top should look like this.  To get my pumpkin to sit correctly I did have to push it down a little and coax it into an oval shape, but otherwise that was it. 

These can be done in many different color schemes to fit your decorations or theme.  I would love to see them in white and brown or all white with sparkly paper.  Oh the possibilities. 






2 comments:

  1. These are adorable Sunny! I've never seen them before! Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are really cute! Classy and simple at the same time.

    ReplyDelete

Of course I would love to hear your comments and thanks for dropping by.